The cart is empty

Where to Get Urgent Help for Mental Health

If you need help for a mental health crisis or emergency you should seek assistance urgently. An emergency is any time that you, or someone you are supporting feels unsafe and are at risk of hurting themselves (by attempting suicide or other harm) or hurting someone else. You should:

  • call 999 for an ambulance,
  • go to A&E
  • or call your local mental health crisis line.

You can find the urgent mental health helpline for your area here on the NHS website

If you have to wait for assistance Mind has some practical tools to help yourself at the time of crisis

If you feel able to keep yourself/the person you are supporting safe in the short term but need help as soon as possible you can get an urgent appointment with a GP, either by calling your local GP Surgery or by calling 111. It will be with the first available doctor so may not be your regular GP, but they can support you with information, medication and/or referals for additional support.


Free Listening Services

If you need someone to talk to, there are a number of free, confidential and anonymous helplines that you can call. They are manned by trained volunteers who are there to talk to, and will listen to you without judgement

Whatever you're going through, The Samaritans offer a safe space to talk, call free anytime call 116 123 (UK Wide), or 08081640123 (Welsh Language Line)

Free and confidential text messaging support service for anyone struggling to cope- Shout Crisis Text Line Text 85258 (Uk Wide). 

Mental health helpline for Wales offering confidential listening and support service- C.A.L.L. call freephone 0800 132737, or text help to 81066 (Wales only).


What to Do If You Have a Safeguarding Concern

If you have a safeguarding concern about a child you should act on it immediately. Following your setting's Child Protection/Safeguarding Policy, you should speak to the Designated Safeguarding Lead.

The safeguarding lead will decide whether a referal needs to be made. If a referral is not required relevant support for example pastoral support or early help should be put in place and monitored. If a referal is required this should be made to children's social care and police if appropriate. See Keeping children safe in education 2022 for the Statutory guidance for schools and colleges


What To Do If Your Child Needs Additional Support

Some children need extra support at school to help them to learn, this is special educational needs support (SEN support). Every school will have an SEN coordinator (SENCO). If you think your child needs help, speak to the SENCO to see how they can support your child. If the school cannot meet your child's needs with the resources they have, you can request your local authority to carry out a Education, Health and Care needs assessment (the SENCO should be able to support you with this). If the local authority decide that your child needs extra help they will give them a Educational, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). You can find out what support is available in your area by searching for "Local Offer' on your Local Authority website.


Sources of Support

Life doesn't always go the way we expect or want it to go but there are many organisations that exist to support others. If you're finding things hard, we'd encourage you to reach out for help, you will be met with no judgement and you don't have to wait until things are at crisis point before asking for help. Some of the organisations that offer support are:

  • Mind offers mental health support through information, advice and services 
  • Young Minds offers mental health support for young people, parents and professionals Young Minds 
  • The Mix is the UK’s leading digital charity for under 25s, reaching over  6 million young people each year. Whatever issue a young person is facing, The Mix is always there for them – via otheir website, over the phone or via social media. Support is free, confidential and anonymous and can be accessed wherever young people are.  
  • NSPCC offers services to prevent abuses, help rebuild children's lives and support families 
  • Childline helps anyone under 19yrs in the UK with any issue they are going through. You can talk about anything big or small with their trained counsellors
  • Winstons Wish supports bereaved children, young people, their families and the professionals who support them
  • Luna Foundation supports children and young people who have experienced the loss of a parent or caregiver to suicide
  • Relate offers relationship, family, children's and young people's counselling 
  • Refuge are the largest domestic abuse organisation in the UK supporting survivors to overcome the physical, emotional, financial and logistical impact of abuse
  • Galop support LGBT+ people who have experienced abuse
  • LGBT Foundation is a national charity delivering advice, support and information services to lesbiangay, bisexual, and trans (LGBT) communities
  • Switchboard provides a one-stop listening service for LGBT+ people on the phone, by email and through Instant Messaging.
  • Womens Aid domestic abuse support for women and children
  • Working Families is the national charity for working parents and carers
  • Gingerbread provides information to support single parents and their famillies
  • Action for Children provide practical and emotional care and support for children and young people
  • Family Action offers support for financial hardship, mental health problems, social isolation, learning disabilities, domestic abuse, or substance abuse and alcohol problems
  • Every Family offers support to children and famillies in Bristol and South Gloucestershire affected by parental offending.


Find A Therapist

When looking for support, membership of a professional body gives assurance that a therapist is fully qualified to professional standards. You may like to look at: